"One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes"
~Eleanor Roosevelt

17 January 2010

Important lessons

So my time management skills are a little less then desirable, sad that it has taken all these years to figure this out. Yes I have always gotten tasks done on time, but pushing them to last moment just doesn't work in the way they did in previous class. I have my first set of skills to check of on Tuesday and my first theory test on Thursday. Properly didn't devote as much time as I should have to studying, but figured I would have a nice, kid-free, three day weekend to fully devote my brain...
KARMA!
Ricky woke up with a fever yesterday morning, and has been a have to sit right on top of mommy and give me all your attention mess since then. Don't get me wrong I do love all the hugs and kisses, but the effects of stress are slowly creeping up. Thankfully I don't look like this cartoon depiction of stressed out nurse yet... but I do feel an eye twitch coming on.

Until yesterday I believe I was a little over confident, I thought I had the 12 skills I signing off on are in the bag. After all, with the exception of charting I have been "practicing" for this day ever since I started working as a CNA over a year ago. While I haven't counted I have properly given over 1000 bed baths and I won’t even estimate how many transfers I have done. Yet somewhere somehow the negativity crept in, yes I know how to do it, but do I know the "nursing way"? There it is, the question that has me pouring over my books until the pre-dawn hours of the night. Guess I need to stop thinking.

As for the theory test, I think I have resolved to the fact I just might not pass it. Let’s put it this way: Thursday evening I attended a 3 1/2 hour workshop on critical thinking and test taking strategies, designed specifically for first term nursing students. Friday afternoon in class the instructor is telling us about her policy to meet with students if they don't score an 80% or above on the second test; "I don't worry about the first one as much, no one really passes it!" NICE! Of course I am not going just take it, as I am not one to give up to easily and I have a GPA to maintain, but I guess I won’t be too hard on myself if the inevitable does happen.

Ricky is giving me I am going to puke on you and your laptop if you don't pay attention to me now face, so I am signing off. Will try to update again with the results soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment